Thursday, December 4, 2008

Shubham: The Best There Was, The Best There Is and the Second-Best There Will Ever Be


DPS, R. K. Puram is pejoratively known as a factory. I believe that is because we churn out excellence in such numbers that it is difficult for others to keep track. In other schools, the same guy who goes for a quiz will go for a debate and so on; but in DPS, R. K. Puram, most of those on top are specialized guys. Akshay Kohli can’t do what Shreshth Singhal can and vice-versa. So, it really becomes very difficult to find out one guy and say “Oh, he’s the star of this batch.” But I have an answer. Shubham Prakhar.

When I think of all that could have been, I think of people whose lives were directly affected by Shubham’s ICG triumph. First on the list is, of course, Shubham Prakhar himself. Imagine, Shubham keeps on winning quizzes, but he really would not have come to DPS, R. K. Puram and he would have been quite a different person then. His three years in the hostel is a feat I stand up and solute. I used to be envious of all the attention that got him from the teachers, but I now fully understand and I am quite ashamed of my thoughts earlier.

The next on the list is yours truly. Before Shubham came, I was your regular curriculum-obsessed nerd. I took the Olympiads often but I never got a rank. I took part in debates and all, but I performed miserably. And quizzing was the last thing I did on the face of Earth. I was a typical wannabe. I had the ambition, but it was all a juvenile thing. And then that day – April 2, 2005. Shubham Prakhar entered the class and my juvenile attempts became ambitions. I worked very hard for JSTSE. Though I didn’t qualify (no one till date can explain that), I churned out top-50 ranks in all national Olympiads (school rank 1 or 2 mostly). I was initiated into quizzing (which I really developed in class 11) and I got this very new confidence. Me and Shubham have the most interesting rivalry this school might have ever seen. These complex emotions don’t really come easily.

And then there were a lot more. I myself spread the benefits I received to others. Kritika Bajaj is an example. Whatever I took from Shubham I gave to Kritika. And in this way, Shubham Prakhar is the true Godfather of this batch of DPS, R. K. Puram because his presence created many many new talents. In a way, a lot of us came from Shubham’s ICG win.
Me and Shubham lost the Heritage India Quiz today in the pre-finals. I thought that me and Shubham were the best team possible. Not arrogance, but a reality. We were the only competition that each of us had in history. But we lost. Actually, it was a very good experience for me. All teams in the national pre-finals were so damn good that it was all left to luck. Luck did not favour us today, but let me assure you that a person of Shubham’s brilliance is bigger than such quizzes. When I saw people come up to him and say “Hey, you are Shubham Prakhar, Mr. ICG, right?”, I no more felt jealous. I felt very very happy. My friend, my mentor, my guide Shubham Prakhar deserves all this and much more. Maybe what the Heritage Quiz did was break the ice between Shubham and I. We both had common ambitions and we gave our heart and soul for it. Shubham, let me assure you that our hardwork will never go waste. I felt very depressed after my JSTSE results. But as Tanya had told me then, the results of my hardwork will come. Sometime or the other. And it came next year for me when I qualified NTSE without having studied 25% of what I did for JSTSE. Destiny, my friend. We are destined.

A lot of people do not like Shubham. I believe they’re just plain jealous. You can be Asia’s Child Genius or anything, but you can never be Shubham Prakhar. You can defeat Shubham in a 1001 quizzes, but no one will ever remember you. Even the CBSE woman in the Heritage remembered Shubham by name. This Is what Shubham Prakhar stands for. So, all you whiners, go back and pour your jealousies out. Because Shubham Prakhar is infallible. He’s not King IC and not even close to that. But he’s bigger and better. I have had the privilege of sharing the stage with him several times. Truly, it was a privilege.

I know Shubham better than any of his friends. Because I have been his most spiteful enemy and his thickest of friends. Despite the frost in our relation, he (like a true pro) came to ask me for the Heritage Quiz. And that is why we got the highest marks in any zonal all over India. I believe not in winning, but in making a mark. And that we did.
Cheers!

12 comments:

Ajey Karthik said...

Hey,
Well written mate,
Though half the stuff is wierd but you really have to think like HIM to beat HIM and you CAN'T think like HIM that's why he is what he is -Shubham...
Today,you guys were a bit more free ,and i kind of guessed that you are rivals but you guys did marvellously to come together and by yourselves helped us to get through to the Semis.
But i have one request of both of you-Please do help me to win this quiz next year....without your inputs i will be totally lost..
Next year will be a tribute to You,Shubham (ThE MEN) and everyone else of your batch who have supported me and you guys all the way through.....
Then 2010 will hopefully be a tribute to my batch...:)
Thanks a lot for not getting irritated at my ignorance and laughing at me---this was truly a learning exprience and something i shall always remember with nostalgia!!!

Shubham said...

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to heaven, we were all going direct the other way.

Let me begin by thanking u for d sweet nd kind words u hv allowed to flow onto ur keyboard thru ur divine fingertips… :P. Altho, u hv already sed my comments are totally uncalled for, here I m writing wat I felt abt it… I hv just finished reading it d third tym, allowing d words to sink in… but dey sumhow still havn’t… There r things dat I strongly disagree upon but since its ur view(which did surprise me quite a lot), I wont say much abt dat… First, choosing d star of our batch is rlly difficult but whoever dat mayb I wont be anywhere near it. This piece of beautifully crafted emotions had me in awe nd amazement, for as far as my friendship wid u goes, u wud be d last person I wud expect to ryt sumthing lyk dis. But den u also did dat Wikipedia article on me!!!(which no longer exists. Yes, ours has been quite a roller-coaster of a friendship but i sincerely hope dat Heritage has succeeded in giving me sumthing, even if v dint win.(nd I m nt talking abt d cash prize v won!!!) Today, I personally think, u r a much more balanced human being dan u were in class 10th. Nd to think dat I hv any role in ur becoming a good quizzer wud be a misconception. Wat u did, wat u r today is absolutely wat u strived for nd a certain Shubham Prakhar wud hv no role whatsoever to play in it had u nt been Subhashish Bhadra. As far as being each other’s only competition in “history” goes, I wud let u walk away wid d glory quite happily, for History, unlike u, was nvr my passion.(Of course, I loved it but dint quite tread dat thin line between love nd passion). Of course, if u add a certain four-lettered word after History, den prolly ur statement holds true but even den let me clarify dis once nd for all dat I dint actually look upon u as a competition. To me, U were more lyk a brilliant, budding, enthusiastic, proud young historian, far better dan d crowd!!! Btw, hu is dis Tanya u mentioned? I wud lyk to ryt a lot abt US (not Unites States!) but I m afraid it myt turn into an epic nd thus wont leave me wid sufficient tym to wrap up my course for Sunday’s test which has some 73 chapters coming in it.

Wid hope nd wishes I sign off…

Shubham

Shubham said...

ajey@ : I totally believe dat u hv it in u to make a good quizzer but its definitely nt d easiest thing to do... I will definitely b dere if u ever need me in ur quest for dat trophy nd I m sure wid a bit of hard work u can do it....

All the very best...

Cheers

Shubham

Subhashish said...

@ Ajey,

To reach me, you just have to study like hell. To go beyond to Shubham's level, I really can't comment (had I known, would I not have been there).

But this has been one of my best inter-school experiences (national, rather).

Anonymous said...

u actually wrote this in ur senses?? Today i get a glimpse of ur relationship with shubham.'Friendship' would be an understatement here. I never knew dat u both had so much respect and for each other. Btw, one needs to be a man to praise someone with honesty and dignity. U both have risen in my eyes. No team can equal U n shubham,not just on the intellectual front but also the bonding that u both share. i know i m repeating in a crude manner what u have written so beutifully,but cant help it,was really touched by ur post.

Shubham said...

Who wud Phoenix be? Deboleena????

Ajey Karthik said...

whoa!!!
Well written men!!!
Do any of you chaps perhaps remember the questions----i am looking to prepare an archive for next year....or the websites for the stuff like the dance videos or etc etc...
Cheers and Thanx mates....

Ajey

:D

Subhashish said...

"Much more balanced person than I was in 10th", Shubham ? I am an absolutely new guy, if you didn't notice that. My morals finally seem to have found the right positions and I am much happier with life.

Subhashish said...

Why I really liked the zonal rounds of the HIQ was because of the sheer chemistry (quizzing chemistry, that is) in the team. I have never ever seen a more domineering performance. Those were moments even better than when I qualified for the Columban quarters (I had started crying at the latter).

This is the best part about life, ain't it? You go from good to better. And I have done so. Really hope to keep in touch will all of you - Shubham, Ajey and Debo.

Ajey Karthik said...

Hey i still want a few questions if you remember any-leave aside the domineering and dominating performance for a sec....
Cheers
Ajey

:D

Subhashish said...

4 Qs for now :
(1) Town named after Nur Jahan on way to Kangra
(2) CEO of Kolkata in 1924 from Swaraj Party
(3)System introduced by Akbar in 1974 to imrove efficiency
(4) The Alai Minar

Ajey Karthik said...

So..another year has passed a new age has dawned on us.A new batch of stars on the horizons waiting to get out to shine and illuminate the black and dark sky.This is the beginning of a new end......



So how was that ;) , on a more serious note.i think i did congratulate u right for your board performace that is...?? I did.well if u don't remember then take one now : Congratulatins :)
Amazingly well done.!!!!!!.
So how goes your college and all?
Now on a more sober note , i have the zonals of Heritage India Quiz coming up so i'd like ur help to help us even qualify for the next round....(nationals)we're novices and not as good as u guys but we have the potential to make it count...
so please(emphatically) help us...!!!!
send ur emails to ajeykarthik@gmail.com

Cheers,
Ajey