Monday, October 25, 2010

Impatience - virtue or bane?

As I get along life dealing with the lethargy of societies and the administration in college, I keep thinking about what my brother used to say when I was really young - 'you're very impatient'. Along the way, I often termed this impatience as passion, but I now suppose that it was that, impatience, that expressed itself in impassioned forms.

Impatience is a great recipe for success. What that ensures is that things in life are moving faster, that you do not procrastinate over things. To an extent, it also helps you distinguish between what you really like to do (which you'll do more impatiently) and something that you don't (which you'll keep on hold to do the former). Applying the concept of future and present value that we learnt in our Grewalian microeconomics class today, it will (I suppose) ensure that in the present you do more pleasurable stuff, and hence ensures that you're generally a happier person [I'll try, once again, to work out a mathematical model for this, but that shall wait because writing this blog is now more pleasurable to me].

However, is that necessarily true? Is impatience really going to lead to more happiness? What is the cost to impatience? Dejection; and this dejection primarily emanates from delays in your external environment, and hence is exogenous to the proposed model that I set up above.

This post actually proved to be shorter than I had expected it to be, primarily because I seem to have arrived at a conclusion faster than I thought. The conclusion being this, that impatience leads to a better state of living as long as we are able to control the externalities. Hence, in things such as cleaning your room, exercising, playing video games, reading novels etc., where there are not too many externalities involved, impatience is a great virtue. However, in the cases where you are dealing with rather insurmountable externalities such as the bureaucracy, college societies (in some cases) and the college administration, then impatience can be a recipe for depression.

No comments: