Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Why Facebook No Longer Works

Facebook's importance in my life cannot be understated. For four months of my life after the boards, facebook was my only interaction point with the outside world. I've met so many of my lost friends on facebook and this beautiful technology has allowed me to meet up with them. It is a good way to keep in touch, for sure.

But nowadays, every time I come on facebook, there is a certain morbidity I feel. It feels like "this isn't the true world, what am I doing here?". It all feels very superficial - to look at friends' photos, to comment below that. I mean, talking to people personally seems so much better - communication can then be free.

Have I changed? Has life around me changed? Why does facebook, the site that sustained me for 4 months - and the site on which I had become a permanent feature, not look so interesting anymore? Well, because now I enjoy being physically with my friends, talking to them personally, hanging out with them. Facebook doesn't allow me to do that, doesn't allow me to go to Kamla with them, have food with them.

But is facebook all useless now? Of course not. I can still meet new people here, and facebook still remains a good starting point for a friendship. And it is still a good place to keep your friends updated about what is happening in your life. So, for the past and for the future, I'm still sticking to my old flame, facebook.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, and when you can't "physically" go out with friends to Kamla, discussing it on Facebook is a nice replacement, don't you think? The problem I think is, we want too much from our lives now, or you can say we want the best of all worlds, we want the technology of tomorrow, and the warmth of yesterday. Somewhere, somehow you must compromise, or rephrasing it-strike a balance-don't you think?

Subhashish said...

I don't know whether the dilemma exists or not. I mean, I am perfectly happy in Stephens - I don't want the money that SRCC has (at crossroads). I guess you do know exactly what you want.

Is Facebook a good substitute? Well, probably not as much as it is to talk to them on the phone (of course, that costs money and a lot of it). But of late, facebook has made me feel kind of not too attached to my "current" lot of friends.