Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Why I still prefer the Congress (but only slightly)

As the elections are drawing to a close, I thought it good to explain why my political loyalties lie with the Congress, but only slightly. The Congress, I must confess, has too many faults and the party, in my opinion, in itself is against demoracy:
(1) The party has not held elections to its Congress Working Committee (CWC) in years
(2) The party relies solely on the Nehru-Gandhi family for campaigning. Even the Prime Minister addresses very few rallies on his own
(3) The part is full of sycophants who are servile to the Nehru - Gandhi family
(4) The party's state units are almost always squabbling among themselves. The state leaders are like crabs who pull down whoever is the rising leader in the party

But the only reason that my faith in the party still remains is because of Sheila Dixit. To be fair to her detractors, her "achievements" are not really to be accredited to her:
(1) CNG was implemented in buses and autos after a Supreme Court directive
(2) The Metro Rail project was started and inaugurated by the previous BJP Government

However, she has done several things (greenery, BRT) on her own and even if the BRT has failed according to some, at least this Government is trying things. And Sheila Dixit's contribution remains more in the field of culture and the arts.

But this brings me to the next point: Why should I prefer the Congress at the CENTER based on its performance in the STATE? If I am to be a sensible voter, I should vote differently at the state and central level. 

But when I vote at the center, the thing I want most is a stable Government which is not bound by demanding allies. I must confess that as a coherent whole, the NDA seems to be better. But what is disconcerting about the BJP are:
(1) nothing concrete was done against Varun Gandhi
(2) the BJP has a habit of running down institutions. After the President is elected, the BJP could do good in respecting her. And the BJP should not pass disparaging comments about the Election Commission

Frankly, Indian democracy is "ruled" by parties that are nothing but family fiefdoms (eg. DMK, RJD, JD(S), SAD, NC, NCP, BJD). Yes, the BJP is the only party that seems to have any semblance of a democracy. The Communists, of course, are almost completely democratic but they are unable to provide a stable dispensation at the center and are too rigid to govern the nation.

All said and done, I'd prefer the Congress because of people like Manmohan Singh and Sheila Dixit. 

No comments: